Hello! Welcome to the monthly update. During June, our work was supported by Stripe, Bleacher Report, Stitch Fix, and many others.
ruby together news
In June, Ruby Together was supported by 44 different companies, including Ruby member Zendesk and Sapphire member Stripe. Those companies were joined by 102 developer members. Thanks to all of our members for making everything that we do possible. <3
In June, RubyGems saw significant improvements to the Bundler and RubyGems development process. We released Bundler 2.2.0.rc.1 and RubyGems 3.2.0.rc.1! 🎉
We also worked on synchronizing the latest versions of both libraries with ruby-core, and fixed issues that came up. We also enforced our ruby-core workflow to try to prevent further tedious integrations with ruby-core in the future by catching issues early and minimizing the back and forth of patches between upstream and downstream.
We changed bundler specs to raise by default when any subcommand fails. This action helped reveal two bugs (which we of course, fixed!). We’ve adapted bundler release tasks to a new repository layout and now have the changelog draft up-to-date.
We’ve also implemented a fix to stop soft-validating gemspecs (i.e. giving validations that only warn) except for in gem-authoring contexts. We also added a slack notification to the maintainers channel that triggers whenever the ruby-head builds starts failing. We also simplified our CI Workflows and did some final cleanup PRs related to CI failures on jruby.
Outside of these major highlights, we continue to fix bugs, review PRs, improve our documentation, cleanup test suites, and continue our usual ongoing maintenance.
In total, RubyGems gained 243 new commits, contributed by 15 authors. There were 3003 additions and 2432 deletions across 313 files.
This month, we added terraform module for RDS monitors and added alerts on
shipit instances. We followed up with fixes on RubyGems.org that have now been deployed and verified! We also debugged failed delayed jobs in production, created a fix for issues with validating user emails, solved some search errors, and removed some pointless emails.
In addition to that, we made a PR to send mail update confirmation when a user changes their email address, added a RubyGems.org guide for rate limits, and made the following improvements:
increased Strict-Transport-Security max-time to ensure HTTPS-only access.
versions.listsource location from bundler-api to s3 and added cronjob to update the file monthly.
ran rake tasks related to
compact_indexwhich enabled bundler to make fewer requests to our server when installing some gems and fixed install of gems with multiple Ruby or Rubygems requirements.
updated correct checksum task to use non-caching info_checksum calc, rerun the task, and expire info cache of gems changed from production.
updated and deployed rate limit changes to fix merge conflict and use test helpers. rubygems.org#2330
reset a few leaked API keys and send mail to affected users.
As always, we continued to fix bugs, and provide help on help.rubygems.org and ongoing support work.
In June, RubyGems.org gained 119 new commits, contributed by 10 authors. There were 1256 additions and 489 deletions across 86 files.
budget & expenses
In June, we saw $16,342.97 in total income, and spent a total of $21,419.67.
- Stripe Payment Processing Fees $394.11
- Employee Related $ 331.94
- General & Administrative $ 151.60
- IT & Software $ 801.97
- Professional Fees $ 319.00
- 102.6 Hours of development work $15,392.47
Until next time,
Irene, André and the Ruby Together team